Author: Dr. Oreste Di Mattei Di Matteo
Cosmetic threads are one of the most innovative proposals of aesthetic medicine to combat the signs of skin ageing. In reality, this is a new application within aesthetic medicine of the threads that have been used for decades for absorbable surgical sutures.
Cosmetic threads are used to restore lost volume and shape, reduce wrinkles and therefore improve the appearance of the face and also the body.
Cosmetic thread lift: where can they be used
Cosmetic threads can be used on both the face and the body, in areas such as:
- the inside of the arms
- the thighs
- the buttocks
- the knees
- all areas where the skin is too relaxed
The threads can have specific characteristics such as:
- bio-stimulating cosmetic threads are used above all to stimulate the regeneration of collagen and therefore to improve the texture and elasticity of the treated skin
- cosmetic traction threads for the "lift" effect
Cosmetic thread lift: Bio-stimulating threads
Bio-stimulating revitalising threads, have a supporting action on the skin when there is skin slackness, and provide a regenerating action on the tissues.
Cosmetic bio-stimulating threads are resorbable and therefore have a temporary effect.
Cosmetic bio-revitalising threads, in summary, have a bio-stimulating, lifting and stimulating action on the skin, thanks to the mechanical activation by the needle that accelerates the metabolism and blood flow to the treated area
Cosmetic bio-revitalising threads lift: who are the ideal candidates?
There are certain conditions that allow for treatment with bio-stimulating threads, among them include:
- adults between 30 and 60 years old when there is still good synthesis of the local fibroblasts
- cheeks are sunken
- prominent nasolabial folds
- cheekbones (to be filled to give new contours to the face)
- redesigning the corners of the mouth
- the contours of the lips
- neck (when firming the skin of the neck is required)
- eyebrows (when the eyebrows are sagging)
- wrinkles across the décolleté area
- arms, thighs and buttocks (when skin is too loose and sagging)
- redefine the jawline
Cosmetic bio-stimulating threads: the types of thread
Different types of single-strand thread, or bidirectional cones, and mini-absorbable thread with polydioxonone (PDO) can be proposed.
Cosmetic bio-stimulanting threads: contraindications
Persons with severe infectious diseases, during pregnancy and breastfeeding, skin infections and autoimmune diseases cannot be treated.
Cosmetic bio-stimulating threads: the treatment
Cosmetic bio-stimulating threads are implanted under the skin, without the use of anaesthetic (at most, an anaesthetic cream is applied). The treatment lasts up to 1 hour.
Cosmetic bio-stimulating threads: after treatment
Side effects are limited to:
- mild bruising on the treated area (disappears in a short time)
- unevenness of the skin
- redness at the point where the thread is inserted
- mild temporary swelling
These issues are temporary and disappear within a few days.
Prescribe an antibiotic cream to be applied on the entry and exit sites of the sutures 2 times a day for 5 days.
Cosmetic bio-stimulating threads: the results
The results are almost immediate. After 1 month from the insertion of the cosmetic threads new collagen begins to form, which replenishes the area of application, and the same control program as with the fillers is to be followed.
Cosmetic thread lift: traction threads
This treatment does not replace a surgical lift, nor a surgical mini-lift, rather it is proposed as a less invasive treatment or for those who are satisfied with a milder result, who do not want to resort to surgery.
Traction threads are inserted under the skin to correct certain imperfections of the face. The areas of the face and body best suited to this treatment, are:
- drooping eyelids
- on the cheekbones
- sunken cheeks
The insertion of traction threads improves the tone of the facial muscles and the skin. Treatment can be performed on adults aged 30 and over.
In fact, this is not a "miracle cure" because if the wrinkles are very pronounced and numerous, you will have to resort to another type of treatment or surgical procedure.
Cosmetic traction threads: before treatment
Insertion of the traction thread requires prior consultation with a doctor.
Cosmetic traction threads: the treatment
lasts about 1 hour and is done under local anaesthetic. Usually it is enough to insert 1 or 2 threads on each side of the face or part of the body to obtain the desired result.
Cosmetic traction threads: after treatment
During the recovery phase and after treatment you will have to follow some rules, such as:
- do not make sudden movements
- The dressing should be kept on for at least 10 days
- Mild bruising, may be present
- swelling of the treated area but this will disappear after a few days without leaving any trace
- bruises that go away within a few days
- the patient can immediately resume his/her normal working routine.
Cosmetic traction threads: the results
The results last for around 9 months. Facial expression remains normal. The result of the procedure is immediately visible.
Cosmetic thread lift Combined treatments
Cosmetic threads allow you to combine other cosmetic treatments, (as a complement to other cosmetic treatments) even during the same session, such as fillers (like hyaluronic acid) or botulinum toxin.
Cosmetic threads are an innovative proposal to reduce wrinkles and improve the appearance of the face and also the body.